School Advisory Council
School Advisory Councils are an essential component of governing and operating Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of Melbourne.
The School Advisory Council provides the St Mary of the Cross Community with a forum for discussion and discernment, where parent voice and community perspective are available to inform and support the decisions made by the Principal and Parish Priest for the good of the school and parish.
The School Advisory Council plays an important role in supporting the work of the Principal by:
- Supporting the School’s vision statement
- Promoting the school’s Catholic ethos
- Promoting faith formation and development
- Supporting school policies
- Providing feedback to the principal on the school improvement plans
- Providing feedback to the principal on the annual school budget
- provide input into and support for strategic planning and directions
- support the Principal in meeting his/her responsibilities and accountabilities for educational
- outcomes, effective stewardship of resources, and annual reporting
- Representing the parent community at a decision-making level
The St Mary of the Cross School Advisory Council has the following membership:
- Executive officers – Principal & Parish Priest (Custodian of Mission)
- Parents – up to 4 current parents
- Parents and Friends Community Representative
- Deputy Principals x 2
- Staff Representative
Nominations for positions on the School Advisory Council are advertised in the Family News newsletter and are officially appointed at the Annual General Meeting.